Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lone Survivor (Movie Review)

I must admit, I am normally not a big fan of war film but Lone Survivor really hit me from the emotional point of view. There are no corny lines that I can recall, the dialogues were kept simple. Thumbs up for the acting, non-brain-frying plots, stunning visual (the filming took place in New Mexico depicting Afghanistan, awesome location nonetheless) and the battle scenes. And the oh so painful scenes (the stunts that they put up really make me think that the SEAL are made from iron).  I wouldn't penalize Lone Survivor for making it more on the action scene rather than focusing on the character development, I felt that the formulation of the film was made just up to what I would preferred. 


The biggest spoiler that I can provide is the title itself, what else do you think the Lone Survivor could mean? 
Summing the 2 hours long movie short, it is about the doomed mission of the US Navy SEAL mission Opt Red Wings team that was tasked to stop the tyranny of the Taliban. Again, 'Lone Survivor'. Everybody dies but one. The movie is based on the book, Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell (character played by Mark Wahlberg) and Patrick Robinson. 

Courtesy of Nuffnang
Lone Survivor opens in Malaysian cinema nationwide on the 14th of January, 2014.
Running Time : 121 minutes | Director : Peter Berg
Cast : Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Eric Bana, Alexander Ludwig

Side Note : How on flying f*ck does the Talibans move at Godlike speed, puzzles me. Also, you may want to skip Hercules if you're planning to watch it, watch this instead. :)

6 comments:

  1. I have to give the movie credit for at least focusing on the soldiers of this story, rather than the actual war itself. Made me feel closer to these guys and be sad for them and their families when they got killed. Good review Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, it really hit me at the end of the movie, where they shared the real pictures of the soldiers as well

      Delete
  2. So Mark survives?

    The Legend of Hercules is a flop is you ask me personally. CGIs were terrible, but maybe for a 70$million budget this is what you get? Guess so.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we both *almost* fall asleep while watching Hercules? LOL. Dude, you should watch the movie (L.Survivor) man!

      Delete
  3. i'm not a fan of war movie either ... but this movie I must say is definitely time-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! I think not watching any trailers prior, or reading any reviews of the movie (I seriously had zero clue of what this movie was before watching it) helped making the viewing experience, much more worth it. :)

      Delete